Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Seven Last Words

During this Easter season I would like to share my thoughts with you about the time that Jesus was on the cross. I want you to think about the final seven statements Jesus made before he died. In the bible the number seven refers to completion. Christ's work here on earth was finished.

The first statement Jesus made was recorded in Luke 23:34 "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." Notice there was absolutely no bitterness expressed in Jesus words. There were only words of a forgiving spirit. When Jesus said forgive them, he was speaking of Jews and Gentiles alike.

Luke 23:43 Records the second statement, "Today thou shalt be with me in paradise." This statement was directed to the thief on the cross. Here the word "today" goes with the words, "you will be with me." This indicates the thief would immediately be received into heaven, not as other scriptures reference being asleep in the Lord until the resurrection. Read here what
2nd Corinthians 5:6 & 8 says, Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, while we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord. We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

In John 19:26 the third statement Jesus uttered, "Woman, behold thy son!" To address Mary as "woman" may sound harsh to our ears today, but it was a title of courtesy and respect in that time and culture. The bible says Mary was blessed of women, but she was still a sinner and needed a savior the same as all of us. Mary said herself in Luke 1:27 "And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior."

Mark 15:34 records the fourth statement Jesus made, it was; "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" A Holy God hates sin but loves the sinner. 2nd Corinthians 5:21 tells us that Christ who was sinless became sin in order to pay sin's penalty for us. Galatians 3:13 tells us that Christ was made a curse for us and God turned completely away from him.

In John 19:28 the fifth statement was; " I Thirst." In John 7:37 Jesus says to all of us; "In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink." Revelation 21:6 "And he said unto me, it is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." To thirst here in these scriptures is to painfully feel the want of or to eagerly long for those things by which the soul is refreshed, supported and strengthened.

In John 19:30 the sixth statement was when Jesus said; "Finished." Here in John 17:4 is a shout of victory; "I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do."

In Luke 23:46 the seventh and final words Jesus said was; "Father into thy hands I commend my spirit."

Psalm 31:5 Into thine hand I commit my spirit; thou hast redeemed me, O Lord, God of truth.
To "commend" is to entrust for safekeeping, to deposit, to trust and believe in God's word just as the apostles did in Acts 14:23 And when they had ordained elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.
Acts 20:32 And now brethern, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them who are sanctified.

I want to urge all of you to read and think about these last words spoken by our Lord and Savior as he hung on the cross dying for all of us. Study the scriptures and listen as they speak to you personally.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Lenten reminder. And, we welcome you and Ginger back to Stanley! M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim & Evelyn ThompsonMarch 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM

    Thanks so much for this wonderful devotion.

    I have printed it for Jim's office.
    We love and miss you guys and keep you in our daily prayers....
    Love you both much,
    Evelyn & Jim

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments and questions